Saturday, September 11, 2010

Day 43 "September 11, 2001"

It's amazing how we can go 9 years later and maybe not remember all that we were doing in the year of 2001 but we will always remember what we were doing on the morning of September 11th 2001.

I figured I would change my blog up a bit today and talk about where we were as a family. I know my story doesn't even compare to many, but I thought I would share it.

Just to give you some history if you haven't known me very long. I am originally from Staten Island, NY. I have been to Manhatten many many times growing up. I have been in the World Trade Center many times. I used to go to work with my dad in the city when I was very young. He is a seamstress and he used to take me to the factory. My sister worked in the world trade center during the first terroist attack before 9/11 and my stepmom Sandy worked there during 9/11. A memorable story for us during this time was that Sandy bought Isaac a leapfrog during her lunch or something on Friday 9/8/01. She forgot to take it home to mail out to Isaac so it stayed under her desk until she returned Monday. Monday morning our Country changed and Isaac's leapfrog went down in history too. The World Trade Center was a familiar place and a place of classiness. I loved walking into the buildings. Big & Tall and full of business men and women. I used to go to work with my sister many times playing on her computer while she walked around making copies and getting things done in the office. I went to work with her once on the Friday after Thanksgiving one year. I was about 14 years old. Just a funny story...and maybe TMI for some, but that day I went to work with her, I got my period. LOL...That sounds so silly. But I remember freaking out in the bathroom and my sister came in after me because I was gone for a long time and I was trembling. LOL. After we went home that day, I told my mom and her response? "No wonder you have been so grumpy lateley". LOL....

Now when this all happened Cory was in the USMC and we were stationed on Camp Pendleton, Ca. On September 11th I experienced something that I never experienced on base before. Lock Down, and fear of the unknown. It was scary but nothing compared to what they were feeling at "ground zero"

My sister called me about 7am California time. I was still sleeping, as was Isaac (8 months old at the time) and Cory as already at work. I picked up the phone and heard "Gabbee, the twin towers have been hit, turn on the news". My first thought was "where is Sandy" (my stepmom) My sister and I tried reaching my family for hours upon hours upon hours. Busy Busy Busy. No calls could get through. Not even on different Islands in NY. I immediatley called Cory told him that we couldn't get ahold of anyone so he immediatley came home and waited by my side. He came home talking about the "talk" that was going on at his work. War. I just remember feeling so scared.

My mom and stepdad lived on Staten Island and you can see the city from their house so I could only imagine that they could see everything going on if they watched. We couldn't reach them either and it was so frustrating. About 3:00 in the afternoon California time, my phone rang and it was my dad. "Sandy is ok and she is here at home". Whew.....those hours were so intense. Here is her story...I hope I dont mess it up.

Sandy was running late that morning. She takes the bus in and it drops you off right on the street of the World Trade Center. Moments after she pulled in either the first tower was hit or the second one was. People were jumping through bus windows, and pure chaos was happening from the towers itself. Sandy made it off the bus and literally ran to the ferrry to head back to Staten Island. She explained that people were trampling the ferry trying to get on. Pushing and shoving eachother so that they can get out of the city. She made it on and turned around as the ferry pulled away and she watched the first tower go down. When she explained it to me I couldn't help but cry as I could still hear her trembling. I thank God for saving her but my heart was and is still so sad for those that didn't have that chance.

That day has a different meaning to each and everyone of us, because of where we were, what we were doing, where we lived, work and family that we knew. More lives were affected than others but as a country that day, we all fell to our knees in pain.

My heart goes out to every family that has lost a loved one on September 11, 2001. And a THANK YOU to all of our men & women in uniform risking their lives for others and for their country. Thank You!

1 comment:

  1. I remember that day like it was yesterday. I remember talking with you and praying fervently that Sandy was ok! It was such a surreal few days on base, wasn't it!?! Scott came across the lawn and knocked on my door to tell me to turn on the news because "two planes flew into some buildings in NY". I won't forget asking him, "Are you kidding me? I don't have time for this! I'm getting ready for work." He was serious. I still tell people this story, and yours when asked about where I was that day. I praise God that she made it to the ferry. I won't forget her story. It's engraved in my memory!

    ReplyDelete